Aaw, little cutie Ida from Around the Ward in 80 Days nominated me for the Real Neat Blog award, I guess she thinks I’m real neat. Well, I think she is too, so go and look at her blog with your eyes and face.
- Put the award logo on your blog.
- Answer 7 questions asked by the person who nominated you.
- Thank the people who nominated you, linking to their blogs.
- Nominate any number of bloggers you like, linking to their blogs.
- Let them know you nominated them (by commenting on their blog etc.)
This is what she, and no one else, wanted to know…
- Where does your blog’s name come from?I like this question because I can actually answer it. My blog name comes from an extremely protracted and complicated metaphor I made up with my psychologist. She asked me what I saw when I thought about my mind, and I told her it was like a barren wasteland with, essentially, fuck all in it. We ran with this metaphor (and I mean ran with it) and started to explore things I could ‘plant’, or maybe things that were already ‘growing’ that I had neglected as I had been so focused on being really fucking unwell. When I decided to start word vomiting online, the name naturally came to me from that experience.
- What made you want to start blogging?Good question. I’m not sure; I think the idea of actually writing things down properly, and holding myself accountable. If I say something that actually makes sense on here (unlikely), I can look back and think, ‘I wrote that’. It gives me some sort of control, some awareness that not everything I do or say is totally negative or senseless. I also think it’s important that sufferers of mental ill health have their stories heard. Having depression and anxiety makes me pretty run-of-the-mill in terms of talking about my mental health; I want to keep doing so to widen the space for other, less run-of-the-mill people to tell their stories too.
- Have you written stuff for fun before your blog?Not really. I used to write poetry when I was a teenager on a poetry website, it was quite a fun outlet and there was a little group of us who hung around together at and outside of school who all wrote on the website, leading to some truly epic nonsense poems filled with in-jokes.
- What’s your favourite or ‘favourite’ post?Hmm, I think it might be Always the Bridesmaid, though it isn’t my most popular I think it was particularly cathartic for me. Five of my ‘Bad Habits’ is also a fave, purely because of the accountability I mentioned before; it gives me something to check myself with.
- The best comment you’ve ever received?In terms of blogging, I honestly don’t know. Every comment I’ve had has been encouraging or insightful, so thank you to anyone who has left their thoughts. Outside of blogging, probably when my year seven Science teacher told the whole class I had great comic timing. What a day.
- Is there something you’d like to try with your blog in the future?Sell out entirely and make millions of pounds exploiting myself and my writing for evil.
- What’s your favourite dinosaur?I just went and Googled ‘stupid dinosaurs’ specifically to answer this question. I decided on the Epidexipteryx because it looks as though it probably had a great case of small dinosaur syndrome. I can imagine one relentlessly chewing at my trouser leg as I resignedly tried to wash the dishes or go to the post office.
Thanks Ida for nominating me, I’ll nominate a couple of people myself and ask some truly ground breaking questions.
- Why did you decide to start blogging?
- What’s your favourite word?
- Describe yourself honestly in three words.
- Where (as in where in your home, or outside, etc.) do you write most of your blogs?
- If you were only allowed to write three more blog posts, what would they be?
- Autumn, winter, spring or summer? Why?
- What’s your best blogging ‘achievement’, or what are you most proud of?
Please don’t feel any pressure to carry on this chain, just know that:
a) I like your blog very much, and
b) I’m exceptionally nosy.